Three Little Birds Sewing Co.
Learn to Sew Series for Adults --- In Person Class
In this five week series, you’ll learn the very basics of how to use a sewing machine while continuing to expand your skills each week. Throughout the course, you’ll finish four projects and gain confidence in using a sewing machine, understanding sewing terminology, and learn how to read a sewing pattern.
Each class meets for 2-3 hours, depending on the project for that particular class and the pace at which you work.
Can’t make a week? We’re happy to accommodate. Contact us prior to registration to plan a makeup class.
Tuesdays at 6:30pm (August 29th - Sept 26th)
Week 1: Intro to Machine Sewing -- How to thread the machine, wind a bobbin, machine settings, and basic terminology. Project: Lavender Eye Pillow
Week 2: Basic Sewing Construction -- expansion of skills learned in week one, use of interfacings. Project: Essential Tote
Week 3: Quilting Basics -- How to use a rotary cutter & mat, simple piecing, and basic quilting skills. Project: Quilted Placemats
Week 4 & Week 5: Intro to Garment Sewing -- how to take measurements, making simple pattern adjustments, how to read a pattern, and garment construction. Project: Hudson Pants or a T-Shirt
Below you will find a list of supplies required for each class. It is not necessary to have them all at the beginning of week one. All supplies are available for purchase in our store and students always receive a 10% discount on anything they purchase for their class. It is recommended that you come 15-20 minutes prior to class to get your supplies so we can start on time.
Week 1: 1 Fat Quarter and ¼ yard of muslin. We will supply the filling for the eye pillow.
- ½ yard of each exterior and lining fabric.
- ½ yard of medium weight interfacing
- 1 ½ yards of webbing for straps
Supplies are to make one placemat. If time allows, you can make more than one or may want to purchase supplies to make additional ones on your own.
- 1 charm pack (5" precut squares)
- ½ yard of fabric for backing
- ½ yard of batting or craft size batting package
Week 4 & 5:
- Hudson Pants Pattern by True Bias or T-Shirt Pattern (Please wait until class to purchase any materials for this part of the class)
- Tracing Paper (Optional but recommended)
- 1.5-2 yards of knit fabric
- 2 yards of drawstring
For all projects, you will need coordinating thread.
- Sewing machines will be provided, if needed. Please bring your own thread, pins, marking pen or chalk & scissors.
- Mask wearing, regardless of vaccination status, is required.
Please read our class policy here.