Three Little Birds Sewing Co.
Learn to Sew Series for Adults II (Advanced Beginner - Intermediate)
This course is designed for students who have already taken our first Learn to Sew Series or those that consider themselves advanced beginner/intermediate sewists. Skills covered during this 5 week series: making bias binding & piping, installing zippers, making pattern adjustments, installing cuffs & collars, and making buttonholes.
Each class meets for approximately 2 hours.
Skill level: Students must be comfortable with threading machine, winding a bobbin, and following a seam allowance. For those with no experience or those looking for a refresher, we encourage you to take the first Learn to Sew Series.
UPCOMING SERIES: Sundays at 2 (January 8th - February 5th)
Week 1: Review of machine sewing -- how to change presser feet, following seam allowances, making bias tape and cording. Project: Pillow cover with piping
Week 2: Zippers -- sewing on a curve, boxing corners, and installing a zipper. Project: Petal Pouch by Noodlehead
Weeks 3-5: Intermediate garment making -- how to take measurements, make pattern adjustments, sew cuffs & collars, and make buttonholes. Project: Button Down Shirt
- 1/2 yard Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, canvas, twill, denim)
- 1/2 yard of quilting cotton for bias binding (or 1 package of pre-made bias tape)
- 2 yards of cording (1/4" is recommended but if you'd prefer a wider piping, that works too)
- 16" or 18" pillow form
- Petal Pouch Pattern by Noodlehead (via her website or in the Everyday Essentials Booklet)
- Exterior fabric, FQ (or 1/4 yard) of canvas or quilting cotton
- Lining fabric, FQ (or 1/4 yard) of quilting cotton
- Fusible Woven Interfacing (20"-wide), 1/2 yard (Pellon SF101)
- 10” zipper (6” zipper for small pouch)
- 1”-wide Twill Tape/Ribbon/Thin Leather, 2 ¼” piece (optional pull tab for large pouch)
- Button-down shirt pattern of your choice. This will be discussed during the first class, but some suggestions are: Kalle Shirt by Close Core Patterns, Harrison Shirt by Cashmerette, Fairfield Button Up by Thread Theory, Negroni Shirt by Collette Patterns.
- Fabric (length and type determined by pattern)
- Lightweight interfacing
- Swedish tracing paper
- Buttonhole foot for your machine (these are usually standard)
For all projects, you will need coordinating thread.
This is an in-person class at our new store located at 5307 Baltimore Ave. Masks will be required, per the PG County Mask Mandate.
Please read our class policy here.