Three Little Birds Sewing Co.
Weekend Workshop with Gretchen Hirsch --- Two Day Ultimate Dress
Join international sewing starlet Gertie Hirsch for the ultimate dressmaking weekend! Using Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book, students will learn to fit basic bodice pattern and walk away with your own custom variation of a sleeveless dress. There will be a strong focus on fit construction, based on Gertie's tested techniques for sewing and pressing darts, creating a perfectly neat all-in-one facing, and much more. Your finished dress will come together using a choice of basic, jewel neckline, v-neck, or elegant narrow shoulder. Students can choose between one of three skirts (a-line, three-quarter circle, or gathered - or draft your own circle skirt!) to make the dress your own. Students will walk away with confidence in taking measurements, fitting, lapped zippers, seam finishes, and more.
Experience Level: This class is not suited to absolute beginners. It is for people who are confident with using their sewing machine, reading patterns, and who have completed several garments before, including at least one dress.
If you're interested in taking the one day class, please click here.
Two Day Class is February 24th & 25th from 10am-6pm
- 16 hours of instruction with Gretchen
- Use of our studio machines (if you prefer to bring your own, let us know)
- Lunch on Saturday & Sunday
- Snacks, water, & coffee throughout the weekend
- 15% off your total purchase during the weekend
What to bring:
- a copy of Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book
- notebook and pen
- your own sewing kit with basic supplies
- Pencils, colored pencils
- 2x18" gridded ruler
- sewing thread
- Fabric (4 meters for a-line skirt or 5 meters for three quarter or gathered skirt)
- 60 cm dress zipper to match your fabric
- 1 meter fusible interfacing (woven or knit; please do not use non-woven interfacing)
Fabric recommendations: fabric should be opaque with light to medium body. Keep in mind that dresses will not be lined in this class, so make sure it's something that feels good against your skin.
Medium weight cotton, cotton blends, linen, sateen, poplin, chambray, rayon challis, and shirting are all good choices.
Please note that due to the limited space for workshops, your registration is non-refundable. You may transfer your registration to another person but please pass along their name and contact info. We often have a waiting list for workshops and we are happy to help arrange with you to transfer your registration.