Three Little Birds Sewing Co
Sandhill Sling Class -- Intermediate Bag Making
Meet Noodlehead's latest pattern, the Sandhill Sling. This medium size bag is perfect for throwing over your shoulder while you're on the go and is roomy enough to hold all the essentials. The finished bag measures 7” wide by 3” deep, 11” tall.
Students will learn how to install zippers, use bag making hardware, and insert a drop in lining. This pattern is designed for advanced beginners, but all levels are welcome, as long as you feel comfortable on your sewing machine.
Students may need to do some sewing outside of class in order to finish the bag. If you'd like to spend more time sewing during class, we'd advise cutting the pieces out before coming to class.
What you'll need:
All students receive a 10% discount on fabrics & supplies for class. If purchasing supplies online, use code VirtualClass.
- Sandhill Sling Pattern by Noodlehead
- 5/8 yard Exterior Fabric
- 5/8 yard Lining Fabric (includes interior pocket)
- 1 ¼ yards (1 ½ if making fabric strap) Fusible Woven Interfacing (Pellon SF101-20”/51 cm-wide)
- (1) 18”/40.6 cm head-to-head handbag zipper*^ for top closure
- (1) 10”/25.4 cm handbag zipper*^ for front pocket closure (View A) OR 14mm magnetic snap(View B)
- 1”-wide d-ring AND 1 ½”-wide strap slider AND 1 ½”-wide swivel snap [25mm d-ring, 38mm strap slider and swivel snap]
- 1 ½ yards of 1.5" wide cotton webbing OR ADD ¼ yard to Exterior fabric requirement (1 yd total) for making a fabric strap
Recommended Fabrics: Canvas (8-10 oz. weight) for exterior fabric. Quilting cotton or lightweight canvas for lining.
Additional supplies + tools: Polyester thread, water-soluble pen/tailor’s chalk, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, size 14 or 16 denim or Microtex needle, (optional) glue or glue pen or 1/4"-wide fusible web tape, (optional for interior pocket) ¼ yard of ¼”-wide elastic, setting tool if using spring snap
*We prefer Zipper by the Yard (by Sallie Tomato) for ease, but other zippers work well too.